I drew it in Photoshop using my new Wacom tablet. For the uninitiated, a Wacom tablet is an electronic pen + drawing board which connects to your computer. This was my first time using it. It's easy once you get the hang of it but there's definitely a bit of a learning curve.
Normally when you're drawing, you're looking at your hand moving over the surface you're working on. With a tablet, you have to train yourself to draw in one place (the board) whilst looking somewhere else (the computer screen). It feels really weird and unintuitive at first. You know what it's like when you try to write with your non-dominant hand? It feels a bit like that. To illustrate, this was me writing as "neatly" as I could:
It doesn't help that instead of using a desk, I have the tablet balanced on my knee with a one-year-old sleeping in my lap(!). It's school holidays at the moment and this is the only way I can get Luna to take a decent nap with her noisy older sister clomping around the house.
It's hardly an ideal set-up, but doable as long as I'm not drawing anything too detailed.
Those flowery blobs are supposed to be poppies, buttercups & forget-me-nots - flowers which remind of Reykjavík in the summertime. I wanted the design to be a nod towards Iceland without being all Elves! Volcanoes! Björk!, so using a few local (native?) flowers seemed like a good way to go. I also strongly associate these shades of red, yellow, blue & green with the colours you see on houses downtown, so it all tied in nicely. :)
|Cute houses in downtown Reykjavík. Photo by the talented Bjørn Giesenbauer.|
I decided to hand-letter the blog title instead of using type because have an ancient version of Photoshop which has doesn't have any good fonts.
You can see here that my handwriting became a bit more presentable with practice.
I also drew some flowers. Lots & lots of flowers. I added daisies and violets and a few other species, all of which grow all over Reykjavík.
I drew each flower individually with a vague idea that I'd find away to fit them into the design later. This was a mistake. Arranging them in an aesthetically pleasing manner ending up being a epic pain in the butt. I spent way more time trying to get them to fit than I spent drawing the darn things!
Looking a little better...
I got there in the end. Voila! Behold, the finished product:
It's over-the-top, I know, but...I like it! It was a fun little project and I definitely feel a lot more fluent with the Wacom than I did when I started. I hope you enjoyed seeing how it came together! I have lots of ideas for new projects (in very different styles!) so I hope you'll check back soon. :)